Much is made lately about how much time we spend on devices. It’s not the time which is the issue, but what we are doing with the time. Here’s what I used my ipad for yesterday.
- I took a French lesson. The new word I learned was “Jour de ferie” or “holiday” in English. (there should be accents on those E’s). I use Duolingo. It’s the best free app I have found for implementing good practices concerning language learning.
- I spoke with my French friend, Marga, in the French territory of Guadeloupe in the Caribbean. In addition to sharing about our day, we reviewed some words in French and English for us both to learn. We find the video connection is of a better quality on facebook than on skype.
- I listened to the Dutch National Anthem. I had never heard it before. I wanted to know more about it, as the novel I am writing is set in Amsterdam during World War II.
- I did not fully understand the meaning of the stately anthem and so I looked up its origin and learned how it commemorates Dutch independence in the 1500’s from Spain.
- I watched a TV show on Amazon Prime, and listened to music on itunes while I exercised.
- I used an APP called “Whistle” to track where my dog was multiple times all day, and ensure she was in a safe place, not too far from home. and on the move unharmed.
- I sent a Happy Birthday message to my husband at work. I checked to ensure the restaurant I was taking him to for his birthday was open, as it was Tuesday.
- I transferred funds in bank accounts to make my estimated quarterly tax payments.
- I paid a credit card bill. The day before I paid three bills using APPS.
- I checked my calendar multiple times.
- I played my favorite word game twice.
- I took a scanned picture of a document and sent it to someone.
- I checked an APP to see if a recent robocall was a scam or fraud.
- I read a news item of interest on the CBC.
- I read and responded to email several times.
- I sent a photo to someone.
- I texted my husband to see how his day was going and sent him a kiss.
- I set an alarm to remind me of something.
- Yes, I played a silly game I like called Sims Free Play 4 – it’s a virtual reality game, so I have a village and people and they have jobs and houses and children and hobbies. This may not be the best use of my time, I admit.
- I fell asleep listening to ocean sounds on “Relax Melodies.:
So, all in all, I use my ipad to be productive. I still talked to three people live on a phone the old fashioned way.
I love my ipad.
p.s. You can do most of these things on a smart phone as well, but the ipad is easier to see and maneuver with more space.